Saturday, March 10, 2012

I lost my mojo (i had mojo?)

....he said......sadly....@!#$!$#@!$#@!

Well the truth comes out: I have officially lost my writing mojo. As you might've noticed, I haven't written much lately - or wrote well lately. Ever since a year ago, i have not written a proper editorial, or articles that gave my signature sage wisdom to my readers in troubled times. Nope, i've just written some rants about school and how much i hate course selections and teachers i hate. 

but hey, that's still "things" isn't it? although when i chose "things" as the name of my blog (i wasn't really creative) i kinda implied "(good) things."

Needless to say, all my dreams of being head of TIME magazine are dashed. 

The ability to write, words actually, just flowed out of my brain like....uh...water. But now i write like i'm constipated. Maybe it's writer's block or maybe i'm just out of practice. Or maybe it's the amount of stress and pressure i get from school that makes me all nervous. And of course, every time i'm nervous, i screw up. I've never thought about it this way (probably cuz i still had my mojo back then), but now whenever i see that blinking cursor, i imagine my chem teacher looking at me in an expectant/arrogant way. No idea why my chemistry teacher....maybe because i don't like chemistry.

You know, the saddest part is that i saw this coming but i couldn't stop it. I saw it from a mile away. Like in a desert, and the heat rises in barely visible waves, and you can see a vague figure in the distance.....ok here's a better analogy. Like when you watch a scary movie and you know that something is going to jump out, so you mentally prepare yourself for the moment until - 
"HOLY SHIT!!!!"

 Unlike the buildup or the climax, the aftermath is a slow and drawn out torture....

"jeez wow, didn't know you were such a sissy...is this your first time watching a horror movie?"

"...NO, of course not...."
Answer: yes

now i'm trying to slowly crawl back to the golden days. i have to, otherwise how i'm i suppose to be worthy enough to even apply for journalism? 

but it's okay, cuz i've got a plan. I just have to read a lot more books. And not those boring books you get in you literature class. But i've tried to keep an open mind, so i've tried to thoroughly analyze the writing in the book i got from one of my classes, "Lone Patriot" by Jane Kramer. Well here's the data results and analysis from the experiment: 
  • Paperback: 272 pages (pretty short)
  • Dimensions: 5.2 x 0.6 x 8 inches (pretty small)
  • Time took to read: 5 weeks
  • Symptoms: drowsiness, headaches, and may cause vomiting 
Here's the other side notes:
"Lone Patriot" was about the backwoods militia americans who live in the forgotten corners of Washington whose goal was to bring the country back to it's days of the founding fathers. But before you think of Robin Hood and his Merry Men, consider this: this ragtag group consisted of child molesters, anti-semitics  (that's a given) that resides in their mobile home sweet mobile homes, and basically platinum card members of (weapons and ammunition) general stores. That's all great and exciting but....i think i significantly loosened my tooth when my elbow, which was propping my head while i was reading/sleeping, slipped and my face hit the edge of the table. Literature books (and their movies) can be really disappointing. i mean, they build you up with their summary that always ends in a "....read the book to find out what happened!" (or the teacher says it) and you end up with long droning lectures about...stuff that you and i obviously can't remember now.

So, moral of the story is, only read school unrelated books. it's ok, there's always Sparknotes or cliff notes or something like that.

Now that i think about it, i think that books should have warning signs on the back....headaches, drowsiness, vomiting, may cause diarrhea...

Another way i can improve is...write more. 
Yup that's right. It's gonna be a long road back home. There's gonna be some sweat, tears, grueling workouts like....finger push ups or something, pencil breaking, paper cuts, and all that jazz going on.
And my readers, or reader, will have to be there every step of the way (unless you get tired of me writing crap and leave - i won't judge (secretly i will)). It's gonna be a hell of a slow process. But i'm foolishly optimistic write (pun intended...ha...ha...)? Slowly but maturely, it's a journey i have to go through alone. no one can help me. not even trusty thesaurus.com. 

But before i go on this painful and upper-lip-sweating journey.....i've just got two more questions to ask:

ARE YOU READY?????!!!

and

what's another word for "sadly" ?



No comments:

Post a Comment